Oops! Did someone just spill Kool-Aid on your precious carpet? Fear not, dear reader, as I’ve got just the solutions you need. And believe it or not, they are probably right there in your kitchen or laundry room.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- White vinegar (undiluted)
- Ammonia spirit (be sure to get the clear kind)
- A clean white cloth or sponge
- Lukewarm water
- A dry towel
- A small bowl or bucket
- Rubber gloves (for the ammonia method)
Vinegar Method: Nature’s Carpet Cleaner
- Prep the Area: First things first, if there’s any excess Kool-Aid, blot it up gently with a clean cloth. Be careful not to rub it in.
- Mix and Dab: Pour some undiluted white vinegar into a bowl. Dampen a cloth or sponge in the vinegar and gently dab it onto the stained area.
- Blot it Up: After letting it sit for a few minutes, blot up the vinegar (and the stain!) with a dry cloth.
- Rinse and Dry: Finally, rinse the area with a bit of lukewarm water, then blot again with a dry cloth. Voila!
Ammonia Spirit Method: The Strong Approach
Note: Always wear gloves when working with ammonia and ensure the room is well-ventilated.
- Preparation: Just like before, blot up any excess Kool-Aid without rubbing.
- Dilute and Apply: Mix one tablespoon of clear ammonia with a half cup of water. Dampen a cloth in the solution and gently press it onto the stain.
- Wait, then Blot: Allow the solution to work its magic for about 5 minutes. Then, blot up the liquid using a dry cloth.
- Rinse and Revel: Rinse the area with lukewarm water and blot dry. Your carpet should look as good as new!
Commercial Cleaning Product Recommendations
- OxiClean Carpet & Area Rug Stain Remover: Great for tough stains and safe for most carpets.
- BISSELL Professional Power Shot Oxy Carpet Spot: A powerful solution with the added benefit of protection against future stains.
- Folex Carpet Spot Remover: Non-toxic and effective, it’s a go-to for many homeowners.
Kool-Aid spills might seem disastrous, but with the right approach, it’s a cinch to clean up. Just remember to test any cleaning solution on a hidden spot of your carpet first to ensure it won’t discolor or damage it.