We’ve all been there – that moment of horror when a red Gatorade spills onto your pristine carpet. But don’t despair! Before you rush to call in professionals or replace your carpet, you might want to try a couple of surprisingly effective DIY methods to restore your carpet to its original glory. Let me guide you through them.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- White vinegar (undiluted)
- Cold water
- Clean white cloths or towels
- Salt (preferably fine-grained)
- A spoon or blunt knife
- A vacuum cleaner
Method 1: The Vinegar Technique
- Blot, Don’t Rub: Firstly, grab a clean white cloth and gently blot the spill. Avoid rubbing, as this can push the liquid deeper into the carpet fibers.
- Prep the Solution: Mix equal parts white vinegar and cold water in a bowl or spray bottle.
- Apply Vinegar Solution: Dampen another clean cloth with the vinegar solution and gently dab onto the stained area. Work from the outside in, so you don’t spread the stain.
- Blot Again: Using a dry cloth, blot the area to remove excess moisture. The stain should gradually lift.
- Rinse and Dry: Rinse the area with cold water using a cloth, then pat dry. Let it air dry for best results.
Method 2: The Salt Magic
- Blot First: Just as with the first method, begin by blotting up as much of the spill as possible.
- Sprinkle on Salt: Generously sprinkle fine-grained salt over the stain. It acts like a magnet, drawing the liquid out of the carpet fibers.
- Wait and Watch: Let the salt sit for at least 3 hours or overnight. You’ll notice it changes color as it absorbs the red Gatorade.
- Vacuum: Once the salt has done its magic, gently scrape away the salt using a spoon or blunt knife and vacuum the residue.
Check out the video
Getting Red Gatorade stain out of the carpet: Part 1
Getting Red Gatorade stain out of the carpet: Part 2
Examples of Commercially Suitable Cleaning Products:
- BISSELL Professional Stain & Odor – known for removing tough stains and odors.
- Folex Carpet Spot Remover – non-toxic and requires no rinsing.
- OxiClean Carpet & Area Rug Stain Remover – uses the power of oxygen to remove even the toughest stains.
While vinegar breaks down the dye in the Gatorade and the salt acts as an absorber, both methods can effectively handle those unexpected spills. Remember, always do a spot test on a hidden area of your carpet before applying any solution.