We’ve all been there – a fun evening with friends or a simple evening dinner takes a turn when a glass of white wine topples over. And there it is, that dreaded wine stain on your beautiful carpet. But don’t fret! In this article, we’ll explore two effective and easy methods to remove white wine stains from your carpet. Grab your cleaning tools, and let’s dive right in!
Attention! Do not use dishwashing detergents! Removing wine stains using such products will inevitably result in streaks that will remain forever.
What You’ll Need:
- Clean white cloths or paper towels
- Cold water
- Baking soda or salt
- White vinegar
- A soft brush or an old toothbrush
- A small bowl or spray bottle
Method 1: Using Baking Soda or Salt
- Blot, Don’t Rub: First, use a clean cloth or paper towel to blot the spilled wine. Remember to dab gently – rubbing will push the stain further into the carpet fibers.
- Apply Cold Water: Moisten the stain with cold water, being careful not to oversaturate the area.
- Sprinkle Baking Soda or Salt: Generously sprinkle either baking soda or salt over the wet stain. These agents will help absorb and lift the wine from the carpet.
- Let it Sit: Allow the baking soda or salt to sit on the stain for at least 30 minutes. You’ll notice it starts to change color as it absorbs the wine.
- Brush Away: Gently brush away the baking soda or salt using a soft brush.
- Blot Again: Dab the area with a clean cloth to remove any residue.
Method 2: Using White Vinegar
- Blot the Stain: As before, start by blotting the spilled wine with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Prepare a Vinegar Solution: Mix equal parts of white vinegar and cold water in a bowl or spray bottle.
- Apply the Solution: Gently apply the vinegar solution to the stain. This will break down the wine particles.
- Blot Away: After letting the solution sit for a few minutes, blot the area with a clean cloth.
- Rinse: Dab the area with cold water to rinse out any vinegar residue.
Examples of Commercially Suitable Cleaning Products:
- WineAway Red & White Wine Stain Remover
- Gonzo Wine Out
- Resolve Carpet Spot & Stain Remover
White wine stains on your carpet are not the end of the world! With these methods in hand, you can tackle them confidently. Remember to act fast and always test a small area of your carpet before applying any solution.